What is going on the deprecated BouncyCastle.Crypto?

The Nuget package is deprecated since a while, when will an update to a new version will come? Because ‘GemBox.Document.35.0.1423, GemBox.Pdf.17.0.1386, GemBox.Presentation.25.0.1504, GemBox.Spreadsheet.49.0.1398’ depend on ‘Portable.BouncyCastle.1.9.0’. That results in conflicts between different versions of “BouncyCastle.Crypto” that could not be resolved.

Hi,

Unfortunately, no other version of BouncyCastle supports .NET Framework 3.5, which is currently the minimum version of GemBox.Email.

Nevertheless, please try again with this latest NuGet package:

Install-Package GemBox.Email -Version 17.0.1145-hotfix

We have released a new version of GemBox.Email that targets .NET Framework 4.6.1 and has a dependency on Portable.BouncyCastle.

In the future, we hope to replace that dependency with BouncyCastle.Cryptography. But in order to do that, they need to fix this issue.

Regards,
Mario

Hi Mario, I have a related question:
We’re using GemBox packages (under .net framework 4.7.2) :

a) GemBox.Pdf 17.0.1404. This depends on Portable.BouncyCastle >= 1.8.9

b) GemBox.Spreadsheet 49.0.1202 . This depends on BouncyCastle >= 1.8.9

Longer term, we plan to upgrade both versions of GemBox libraries to newer ones, but that will take time to test etc.

My question is, for now, will my app which uses both a) and b) have problems due to BouncyCastle ?
I can see:
C:\Users\xxx.nuget\packages\bouncycastle\1.8.9\lib\BouncyCastle.Crypto.dll
and
C:\Users\xxx.nuget\packages\portable.bouncycastle\1.8.9\lib\net40\BouncyCastle.Crypto.dll

i.e. the files are both called BouncyCastle.Crypto.dll, but are different sizes.
Are the two versions “compatible” for purposes of GemBox use ?

Thanks,
Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Yes, I believe they are.

I just tried running the PDF Digital Signature examples using those two versions and I was able to successfully generate output PDF files.

Regards,
Mario

1 Like