How to export datagridview data to a word document table c#?

Hi,

I want to export the data from the selected rows of a datagridview to a table in a word document(i.e. docx file) to a new page every time I run the code using gembox.document. How can I do that?

Here is what I tried but getting an error System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type ‘System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewTextBoxColumn’ to type ‘System.Data.DataColumn’.:

int rowCount = dataGridView1.SelectedRows.Count;
		int columnCount = dataGridView1.Columns.Count;

var dataTable = new DataTable();

foreach (DataGridViewColumn column in dataGridView1.Columns)
		{

dataTable.Columns.Add(column.HeaderText);

}

foreach (DataGridViewRow row in dataGridView1.SelectedRows.OfType<DataGridViewRow>().OrderBy(x=>x.Index))
		{

foreach (DataGridViewCell cell in row.Cells)
			{
				dataTable.Rows.Add(cell.Value.ToString());
			}
		}

// Create new document.
		var document = new DocumentModel();

// Create Table element from DataTable object.
		Table table = new Table(document, rowCount, columnCount,
		                        (int r, int c) => new TableCell(document, new Paragraph(document, dataTable.Rows[r][c].ToString())));

// Insert first row as Table's header.
		table.Rows.Insert(0, new TableRow(document, dataGridView1.Columns.Cast<DataColumn>().Select(
			dataColumn => new TableCell(document, new Paragraph(document, dataColumn.ColumnName)))));

table.TableFormat.PreferredWidth = new TableWidth(100, TableWidthUnit.Percentage);

document.Sections.Add(new Section(document, table));

document.Save(@"D:\Proj\MyDoc\Insert DataTable.docx");
		MessageBox.Show("Export complete");

The error is on the line of code table.Rows.Insert(0, new TableRow(document, dataGridView1.Columns.Cast<DataColumn>().Select( dataColumn => new TableCell(document, new Paragraph(document, dataColumn.ColumnName)))));

Further, how can I add a header to every new page of the document where I paste the table?
Help…

Hi,

Please try with the following code snippet:

// Create new document.

var selectedRows = dataGridView1.SelectedRows.Cast<DataGridViewRow>().OrderBy(dataGridViewRow => dataGridViewRow.Index).ToList();

// Create Table element from the selected DataGridView rows.
Table table = new Table(document, selectedRows.Count, dataGridView1.Columns.Count,
        (int r, int c) => new TableCell(document, new Paragraph(document, selectedRows[r].Cells[c].Value.ToString())));

table.Rows.Insert(0, new TableRow(document, dataGridView1.Columns.Cast<DataGridViewColumn>().Select(
    dataGridViewColumn => new TableCell(document, new Paragraph(document, dataGridViewColumn.HeaderText))))
{
    RowFormat = { RepeatOnEachPage = true }
});

table.TableFormat.PreferredWidth = new TableWidth(100, TableWidthUnit.Percentage);

document.Sections.Add(new Section(document, table));

Thanks for your reply.

However you did not mention how can I add a header to this page.

I tried adding the below code before var selectedRows but it writes the text and the header in page 1 and writes the table in page 2
var section = new Section(document,
new Paragraph(document, comboBox1.Text));
document.Sections.Add(section);
section.HeadersFooters.Add(
new HeaderFooter(document, HeaderFooterType.HeaderFirst,
new Paragraph(document, "My Header")));

Please guide

Hi Don_B,

I expected that you wanted to repeat the header row on each page. This is accomplished with the

Here is an extension of the previous code snippet that should meet your requirements:

// Create new document.

var selectedRows = dataGridView1.SelectedRows.Cast<DataGridViewRow>().OrderBy(dataGridViewRow => dataGridViewRow.Index).ToList();

// Create Table element from the selected DataGridView rows.
Table table = new Table(document, selectedRows.Count, dataGridView1.Columns.Count,
        (int r, int c) => new TableCell(document, new Paragraph(document, selectedRows[r].Cells[c].Value.ToString())));

table.Rows.Insert(0, new TableRow(document, dataGridView1.Columns.Cast<DataGridViewColumn>().Select(
    dataGridViewColumn => new TableCell(document, new Paragraph(document, dataGridViewColumn.HeaderText))))
{
});

var section = new Section(document, table);

document.Sections.Add(section);

section.HeadersFooters.Add(
    new HeaderFooter(document, HeaderFooterType.HeaderDefault,
    new Paragraph(document, comboBox1.Text)));

Hi. May I ask you show the full code sample, because I have a problem with “dataGridView1”:

What I need to do?

I don’t have a complete project, that was the code from one of the users of GemBox.Document.

Nevertheless, the dataGridView1 is an object of type DataGridView: