Chinese and Korean fonts

Hi,

do you have a recommended approach for addressing Chinese, Japanese and Korean fonts? In Word I can define a font in the “East Asian text” and cover for example Chinese with Noto Sans SC. Yet I would like to use the template also for Korean which would require Notos Sans Korean (or a similar font).

Desing Tab:

Hi,

Unfortunately no, you cannot define different fonts for Chinese and for Korean.
In Word documents, you can only define East Asian font which covers both.

Perhaps you could consider creating two separate template documents (e.g. “input_zh.docx” and “input_ko.docx”)?
I hope this helps.

Regards,
Mario

Hi,

we decided to merge the Noto Fonts for Korean, Chinese and Japanese to get a single font we can use as East Asian text to cover our use case. We used Font Forge to merge the fonts. It is pretty simple following this explanation on superuser.
Using different templates would have been a possible solution too but would require more logic in the code and more effort regarding the templates.

Regards,
Stefan

The approach to merge especially Chinese an Japanese was rather naive. Japanese Kanji and Chinese Hanzi are not identical but use the same unicode (see below, left Simplified Chinese, right Kanji). Is there an option to set the east asian font using GemBox.Document? This could solve the problem in a generic way and would not require maintaining several templates.

Yes, please try again with this latest NuGet package:
Install-Package GemBox.Document -Version 35.0.1478-hotfix

And try using this:

DocumentModel document = ...
document.DefaultCharacterFormat.Fonts.FontNameEastAsian = "Specify font name";

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Mario